Craig R. Kelso

Friday, March 15, 2013

Facebook Bigot

This week I discovered that I am, at least partially, a bigot (intolerant person: somebody with strong opinions, especially on politics, religion, or ethnicity, who refuses to accept different views). I do have strong opinions on politics and religion. I unfriended many of the people on my Facebook page who were cheering for President Obama prior to 2012 presidential election and then gloated on Facebook after his reelection. So, I am a Facebook bigot. But, they probably didn’t like my Facebook posts either, so I did both of us a favor. The word bigot is usually used pejoratively. I accept the above definition with the exception of the last part; refuses to accept different views. I think that part should read: refuses to listen to, be exposed to or investigate different views. I think that it is almost impossible to not be exposed to different viewpoints if you watch TV, watch movies, use the Internet, or socialize with others in person. I am constantly bombarded with the views of those with whom I disagree, but that does not mean that I have to accept their views. So, for now, I’m just a Facebook bigot, and that's OK with me.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home