Craig R. Kelso

Sunday, April 21, 2013

Some thoughts


One of my daughters and I were having a discussion/argument about which group, liberals or conservatives, are responsible for more frequent interruptions/disruptions during public speeches by political speakers. My position is that liberals disrupt or attempt to shout down political speakers with whom they disagree more frequently than conservatives. I attempted to find data relative to the frequency of disruptions by the two groups, but was unable to find any data on the Internet. I did find an article from the Wall Street Journal by David Horowitz in which he describes a speaking engagement at the University of Texas in 2009. In the article he states the following:

I arrived in Austin, Texas, one evening recently to give a speech about academic freedom at the university there. Entering the hall where I was to give my speech, I was greeted -- if that's the word -- by a raucous protest organized by a professor and self-styled Bolshevik, Dana Cloud. Forty protesters hoisted placards high in the air and robotically chanted "Down With Horowitz," "Racist Go Home," and "No More Witch-hunts."

And also:

I don't know of a single leftist speaker among the thousands who visit campuses every term who has been obstructed or attacked by conservative students.

I presented the article to my daughter as evidence to support my position, but she did not think that it was acceptable, so we decided to agree to disagree. That was the end of it.

There was another quote in the article that caught my interest:

The entire evening in Texas reminded me of the late Orianna Fallaci's observation that what we are facing in the post-9/11 world is not a "clash of civilizations," but a clash of civilization versus barbarism.

At this point, I am going to change the focus of this essay.

The next weekend, the bombings at the Boston Marathon happened. We were attacked again by terrorists; Muslim terrorists. I know that not all Muslims are terrorists, but most terrorists are Muslim.

The headline of another article in News Max after the bombings read, “Gen. Hayden: Boston-Style Attacks May Be ‘The New Normal’”


The following is a string of thoughts that I had relative to the bombings:

·         We are at war with Muslim extremists.

·         Mohamed was both a prophet and a warrior.

·         Muslims believe that the whole world should be converted to Islam, and forcibly if necessary.

·        Liberals often state that religion is the cause of most wars, and, therefore, religion is bad and should be done away with.

·        I believe that liberals believe that if religion is excised from our nation, then we will be at peace with the rest of the world.

·        Our nation is similar to Rome. When Rome was declining, it began to be attacked by barbarians: Goths Visagoths, Vandals, Huns, etc.

·         Orianna Fallaci's observation that what we are facing in the post-9/11 world is not a "clash of civilizations," but a clash of civilization versus barbarism seems relevant here.

·         The United States is not a conquering nation, as was Rome, but is perceived as one.

·        We will suffer the same fate as Rome at the hands of Muslim extremists, if we do not remain a strong nation.

·         Liberals believe that we can just become a secular, peace-loving nation, and the rest of the world will simply leave us alone.

·         They are wrong.

This is possibly one of those “slippery slope” arguments, but it does keep popping up.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home