Craig R. Kelso

Tuesday, November 12, 2013

Big Government

I hear the comment that liberals want bigger government frequently.

A long time ago, when I was a rookie wrestling coach and thought that I had to have a rule to for every possible situation that might occur, an older more experienced colleague of mine, John Jordan, said to me, " Craig, if you create a rule, than you have to enforce it." His philosophy was to have as few rules as possible.

Someone commented that the "Democrats want bigger government" once again on a Fox news program this morning.

I have been listening to a series of lectures on economics from Hillsdale College. The lecture that I listened to yesterday was related to Keynesian theory which encourages government intervention when certain conditions exist. When government intervenes in the economy, then it inadvertently creates more rules, and, as my colleague told me years ago, if you create more rules, then you have to enforce them. More government intervention leads to more rules, which leads to a bigger, more authoritative government.

I have noticed the following phenomenon for a long time in education: People are too stupid to know what is good for them. So, our organization should "take the reigns" and tell them what to do for their own good. This seems to me to be the attitude of liberals and the current administration. It's not that they necessarily want bigger government, but that bigger, more authoritative government is a consequence their policies. I heard it called "Liberal Paternalism" a while back, and it is also referred to as "the intolerance of the so-called tolerant."

The conclusion that I come to from these thoughts is that the U. S., if it continues in the direction we're moving, will become an oligarchy (if it is not one already).

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home